Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Grocery Store

I'm sorry, but I have to complain.  I don't hate anything more than I hate grocery shopping.  Dante's seven circles didn't specifically mention it, but I know it's in there.
Today was one of those shopping trips where I thought I might just lose it.  

Summary of Audrey's attitude: "Momma, I'm tired.  Can we go home?  Are we almost done?"
Summary of Kennedy's attitude: "I will stand in the basket and crush the food and throw things out or I will push the cart. (Please picture my tiny one year- old hunched over pushing the cart.  She doesn't appreciate me helping and she fusses when it is moving without her.)  If I'm not doing one of those two things, I'm unhappy."

Recap of my favorite moments...
Judgmental woman number 1: "Did you notice your daughter just dropped her pacifier on the      ground?"
I think: "I have a one year- old who's teething, I know where it is at all times and the only person who's more upset than my daughter that it's on the ground is me!"
I say: "Oh, thanks."
Judgmental woman number 2: "Did you know your daughter has a plastic bag in her mouth?"
I think: "Mind your own beesewax.  She's put worse things in her mouth and I am, believe it or not, watching her."
I say: "Oh, no.  Yuck."
Judgmental woman number 3: --Her son had just accidentally swiped his mom's credit/debit card through the card reader on my transaction.  The checkout girl fixed it and I jokingly said to the boy "Thank you.  I'd love for you to pay for my groceries."
She says: "The problem is I spend that much money on my five kids each week to feed them, clothe them, pay for soap, medicine- everything!"
I think: "In other words, I'm spoiled, my kids are spoiled, and I don't know how to manage money."
I say: Nothing
Other favorite moments include Kennedy throwing a glass jar of diced apples on the floor and it broke into a million pieces, Audrey inventing a game where she opened all the doors to the freezers and danced in the cool air, and AS ALWAYS...unloading the bags at home.
P.S. I love my girls, I'm incredibly blessed to be able to pay for groceries, and when Kennedy broke the jar the workers who helped clean it up were really nice.


7 comments:

thehaucks said...

Sounds like an awesome grocery day! But I loved your story-telling!

Kara said...

Wow! THREE judgmental women in ONE trip?! I think I've only gotten as many as two per trip...

Strange as it may seem, I love grocery shopping...but I do what I can to avoid bringing ALL of the children with me (Smith's is the only place that even makes a grocery cart that can carry four kids *and* groceries, by the way). In fact, I have to go grocery shopping before the day is out! Time to start planning my escape!

On a totally unrelated note, I am going to be visiting Cedar City next month. I haven't gotten in touch with Mikkel yet, but wouldn't it be fun if we could all meet up for lunch or something? It would be on Saturday, May 14th. Check your calendar, and I'll get in touch with Mikkel! YAY!!!

Sara said...

Oh, my. Grocery shopping is one of my least favorite chores. I'd rather clean the toilet! I definitely don't look forward to shopping with kids.

Mikkel said...

First of all I'm sorry for all your grocery shopping woes. It happens to the best of us. I don't like to grocery shop and luckily my husband will do it 99% of the time! Except in the summer which is quickly approaching.

Second of all I saw Kara left a comment and I am so happy at the thought of getting together and so sad because I will already be in Houston for the summer :( Drat!

Josh and Kaleena said...

Something to look forward to I guess! I hated grocery shopping long before I had kids. Now I just don't go-period-I wonder how long that can last?

Betsy said...

I feel your pain. Quin is usually crying/screaming the entire time I'm in the store. He's a real peach to run errands with in general. I tell you, if we didn't have to eat I would never go to the grocery store!

Krischelle said...

I hate going to the grocery store! Every time I take all my kids, I promise myself: "never again!" I'm sorry about the nastiness, why do people have to be rude?