Saturday, October 22, 2011

High on the Mountain Top

Ryan told me one day that our stake had a few tickets to the Payson Temple groundbreaking and that our stake president had offered the stake presidency first 'dibs.'  My hopes were up.  Then he told me that he said no.  We would have to be there at 8 and we couldn't take kids so he thought it would be too hard.  I made him feel bad by saying I really wanted to go and that we may never have another chance.  So he went back to the stake president and got the tickets.
October 8th rolls around and it turned out to be freezing!  It was hard to maintain the enthusiasm when you lose all feeling in your extremities.  I would not have been a good pioneer.
  
At first we assumed this would be our view of the groundbreaking.
The mountains are actually much taller than this!
 The prayer was said and included a plea for a reprieve from the rain.  It stopped.
The program included some wonderful speakers who all grew up in this area.  The songs were both written by Payson people; "Sweet is the Work" and "High on the Mountain Top".  Elder Dallin H. Oaks grew up in Payson and he said the dedicatory prayer.  It was wonderful.  I hope we're still here to help with the open house and dedication.  My memories of the Bountiful temple opening are still fresh in my mind (sadly, they were quite cold as well) and I cherish that opportunity.

No comments: